Back in 2008 when I started my journey into being a post compulsory teacher (or FE teacher whichever you prefer), I was told it would be a lot of hard work balancing writing assignments, lesson planning, creating resources, researching and teaching! Yes they were not lying and I certainly was not under the delusion it would be an ‘easy ride’, but they forgot to mention the other stuff – the online learning, using a Promethean board (grr), the impact it has on your personal life and your sanity!
If ever anyone writes a book on ‘what to consider now your partner is in education’ they would make a killing (I did actually search for one)! I love teaching but it’s so damn hard when you have young children, an unsympathetic husband and a house that won’t clean itself (yes please play the violins for me).
Anyway, here are some of the things they didn’t tell me that I wish they had (although to be fair the teacher training manual probably didn’t include this)!
- You can’t do any study till your kids go to bed and when they do your too knackered to do it!
- Your dress size will either diminish as you forget to eat, or the opposite you gorge yourself on anything for comfort (I diminished)!
- You increase your wine intake (constant companion when writing assignments).
- The books you are told to read can reduce you to tears of despair! You at times wonder what the hell are they talking about, and seek out a dictionary/thesaurus.
- The college Elearn facility is a minefield of information that will make no sense at first (and to some never will)!
- Using the online library for Ebooks is soul destroying for people who like a book physically in their hand (I’m one of them!).
- Your partner (husband in my case) will expect you to do everything you did before you started teaching and they will do the same too!
- Suddenly you realise your not just a wife and mother (obviously this information only applys to specific people!) and you have another identity – you! This in my case did not bode well with my husband (still doesn’t, but hey ho).
- You will spend a lot of time crying and staring at the wall for inspiration!
- You end up with high blood pressure!
Remember this is all from my perspective, and one size does not fit all!
Despite all the trials and tribulations I am still happily teaching in college and have mastered their Elearn facility and got over using Ebooks!